In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Dulce de Leche is similar to caramel but quite different at the same time. It´s a creamy, dreamy sweet golden-brown treat that is enjoyed as an ingredient in many desserts or drizzled over cookies, brownies, fruits or pretty much anything you can think of. It´s typically made with dairy milk and sugar but we have made a vegan dulce de leche from almond milk that is delicious- it´s sweet and nutty with a deep caramelized toffee flavor that will win you over. Give it a try!
For almond milk: Yields 1 quart (4 cups / 946 mL)
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For vegan dulce de leche
- 4 cups almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Place almond milk in a medium sauce-pan and bring to a boil. Gradually add sugar while stirring with a wooden spoon, you will notice that it will immediately change color.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally (to avoid burning and sticking to the bottom) until the consistency changes.
- It will take between 35-45 minutes for dulce de leche to be made. The consistency shouldn’t be too runny but it also shouldn´t be very thick as it will solidify when it cools and be too thick to use. It´s done when it reaches a deep caramel color and a thick but gooey texture. You can take out a small spoonful of dulce de leche and put it in the freezer a few minutes to see if its ready. Tilt the plate – if dulce de leche is not runny than it should be ready.
- Place dulce de leche in a clean container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.