In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
A festive salad made with seasonal veggies, perfect for a Thanksgiving meal!
The best part is the creamy cashew balsamic dressing that takes this salad to the next level. Enjoy!
- 1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 cup halved cipollini onions or shallot wedges
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup (Optional for a sweeter dressing)
For the salad
- 1½ cups cooked faro or grain of choice (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley and/or cilantro)
- Handful of mixed salad greens
- 2 small kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and sliced paper thin (or 2 additional carrots)
- 2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
- ½ apple, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts or pepitas
- ⅓ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Handful of microgreens (optional)
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the squash and onions on it. Drizzle the squash, onions with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until the squash is tender and the onions are soft.
- Make the dressing: Start by making cashew butter for the dressing if you don't have a batch made:
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Add all dressing ingredients to the NutraMilk and process until smooth. Add more water if you want a thinner consistency.
- In a small bowl, toss the kohlrabi with a drizzle of the dressing and toss to coat. In a medium bowl, combine the farro, herbs, and about ¼ of the dressing.
- Assemble the salad on a large platter with the farro, mixed greens, squash, onions, halloumi, kohlrabi, carrots, apple, and the walnuts or pepitas. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, as desired, and sprinkle the pomegranate arils and feta cheese on top. Season to taste. I like to add a good squeeze of lemon at the end, or just before serving for extra pop. Top with the microgreens, if using.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Love & Lemons.