In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
We used a fresh cashew-based spreadable cheese made with the NutraMilk for these yummy quesadillas! This cheese recipe can be used for dips, as a drizzle/topping or as an ingredient in many recipes such as an enchilada dish or these quesadillas. Enjoy!
- 2 tortillas, 8-inch (use corn tortillas for gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons corn, freshly cooked or canned and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons black beans, freshly cooked or canned and rinsed
- ½ jalapeño, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ -1/2 cup vegan cheese made with the NutraMilk
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream or yogurt, or cashew cream or any dip/sauce you prefer
For vegan cheese
- 3/4 cup potatoes, peeled and diced, any type will do, but Yukon gold works best
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/3 cup or more plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- Start by making cashew butter for cheese if you don’t have a batch made:
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave 1/3 cup in the NutraMilk for recipes and store the rest for later use.
- Make plant-based cheese
- Boil or steam the potatoes and carrots for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- Drain them and add them to the NutraMilk.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix together the corn, tomatoes, black bean, parsley, cumin, paprika, chili powder and jalapeños.
- Place the two tortillas down on a plate or cutting board. On one of the tortillas, spread de vegan cheese and add black bean/corn mixture on top. Cover with the other tortilla and press together.
- In a pan over medium high heat, add the coconut oil to grease the pan.
- Place the quesadilla in the pan to cook until crispy, about 3 minutes, and then flip.
- When crispy, remove from the pan and place onto a plate. Cut into four equal pieces (I like to use a pizza cutter) and top with the greek yogurt or coconut yogurt and some parsley. Enjoy!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.