In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
A great family dinner and perfect dish to bring over for dinner party. Made with a combination of rich tomato sauce and a creamy vegan white sauce. Feel free to add your choice of protein if you´d like. Enjoy!
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tins (800g) chopped tomatoes
- 175ml/3/4 cup water
- 5 sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp. mixed dried herbs
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 5 tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 350g/12.5 oz penne pasta (Gluten free option)
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Pre heat oven to 180C/350F.
- Finely chop the onion and place in a saucepan on medium heat with some oil. Leave to fry for a few minutes.
- Mince the garlic and finely chop the red pepper and add to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes until the onion and pepper are soft through.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water, finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, sugar, mixed herbs and pinch chili flakes (optional). Bring to a gentle simmer and leave to cook for 15-20 minutes. It should have thickened and deepened in color, add a little more water if you need to whilst cooking.
- Make the white sauce. Add vegan butter to a small saucepan on low heat. Once melted add the flour and mix until it forms a roux/paste.
- Gradually add the milk and whisk continuously until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and place in an oven proof dish.
- Taste and season the tomato sauce and pour over the pasta. Stir well.
- Pour the white sauce over the top so it is evenly distributed. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve and top with some fresh basil!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Cupful of Kale.