In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
Fiber, fiber and more fiber! Most Americans do not get enough fiber in their diets.
This casserole is made with all fiber-rich foods (brown rice, chickpeas, broccoli, chard, almonds). Fiber's role in preventing heart disease is thought to stem from its ability to lower both blood pressure and cholesterol. It also fills you up, which helps you eat less and perhaps lose weight. Typically, fiber rich foods are also loaded with other healthy nutrients that help protect the heart - this is certainly the case for the ingredients in this recipe. Give it a try!
- 1 ½ cups brown rice of choice
- 2 ½ cups water
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup chard, cooked and chopped
- 3 cups broccoli, cooked & chopped
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 14-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup vegan parmesan made with the NutraMilk
For herb aioli
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- ½-¾ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- ½ cup fresh herbs (I like basil or parsley)
Make aioli sauce:
- Place almonds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 12-13 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- Add garlic, water, vegetable oil, lemon juice and process until smooth.
- Add basil or other herbs and process a few more seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Cook the brown rice:
- To a medium saucepan, add 2 ½ cups of water. Rinse and drain brown rice through a fine mesh sieve. Add to the pot along with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low, cover, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and lightly fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, warm the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the pepper, rosemary, thyme, chili flakes, chard, broccoli, chickpeas, cooked brown rice, balsamic, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil and scoop the rice and chickpea mixture into it. Top with ½ cup of vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve the casserole warm with aioli and with extra parmesan.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Up Beet kitchen.