In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
For those who are turning towards a more plant-based lifestyle or are vegan, jackfruit can take on a very similar texture to chicken. For this recipe we have used jackfruit instead of chicken with a delicious BBQ sauce as a pizza topping. Jackfruit is a good source of vitamin C, potassium and various other vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Marinated in our homemade BBQ sauce made with fresh peanut butter-it is delicious on pizza, tacos, grain bowls or any way you can think of.
For more information on all the healthy nutrients that peanut butter contains, click here.
- 1 can jackfruit
- ½ cup barbeque sauce made with the NutraMilk
- 1 whole wheat or gluten-free pizza crust
- 1/3 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded (choose dairy-free vegan cheese if appropriate)
- cilantro (topping)
For BBQ sauce
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
Make BBQ Sauce
- Stir together peanut butter and ketchup until completely smooth and well combined, then add in other ingredients. Adjust the amount of crushed red pepper flakes you use depending on how spicy you want your sauce to be.
- Pour the mixture into a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thick.
- Cool to room temperature and set aside.
Making the pizza
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the jackfruit in a small baking dish and coat well with barbeque sauce.
- Spread some BBQ sauce over the pizza crust.
- Cover pizza with cheese. Top with red onion and BBQ jackfruit.
- Bake the pizza for 12-14 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle with cilantro and enjoy!