In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
Images and recipe by Alphafoodie
*Prep & cooking time 20 minutes
3 red peppers
- 1/2 cup walnuts raw
- 1/4 cup almonds raw
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- Slice the peppers in half, length-ways, and remove the seeds. Then place them on a baking tray lined with baking pepper, inner side down, and roast for 12-15 minutes at 220ºC. The skins will char easily so keep an eye on them, so they don't burn completely (although you want some charring).
- For additional smokey/charred flavor to your dip, as soon as the peppers are roasted, put them in a glass jar and close the lid. Let them steam like this for about 10 minutes - the smokey flavor from the charred skin will infuse the flesh more and create wonderful depth of flavor to the dip.
- Once the peppers have cooled down enough to handle, carefully peel the skins.
- Blending the almonds and walnuts in the Nutramilk processor, to a rough crumb texture.
- Add the spices and blitz again to mix them with the nuts. Then finally, add the roasted peppers, and 'wet ingredients' (olive oil, lemon juice and pomegranate molasses) and blend again to incorporate them. I like my dip to be slightly chunky/crumbly with a bit of bite for this -don’t over-process the mixture.
- The muhammara is now ready. It's best served at room temperature. Garnish with some extra chopped walnuts and some parsley or even some chilli flakes, for additional heat.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. This is also a freezer-friendly recipe as no breadcrumbs are used. You can freeze the dip for up to a month and simply leave to thaw when ready to eat.
See full recipe and tips here: https://www.alphafoodie.com/gluten-free-muhammara-dip-roasted-red-pepper-dip/