In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe from The Blue Zone´s Kitchen cookbook.
This recipe comes from the blue zone (zones of the world where people live the longest) of Nicoya, Costa Rica. They are simple traditional corn pancakes that are a healthy alternative to the flour and egg pancakes commonly served in the United States. These sweet cakes don’t require a slathering of syrup since they are naturally sweet and have more fiber and fewer calories than their American counter-part. Add some fresh nut butter made with the NutraMilk to add more fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and top with fresh fruit. Enjoy!
- 4 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (or two 16 oz. Cans, drained)
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- vegetable oil for frying
- Nut butter of choice (I used cashew butter thinned out with water)*made with the NutraMilk
- sweetener of choice like maple syrup (optional and not necessary since these corncakes are naturally sweet)
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
*To make the cashew butter a little thinner an runnier- I just added some water and mixed by hand to the amount I was going to use for the corncakes.
- Place all ingredients in the NutraMilk and press ¨Mix¨ until mostly smooth.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat and coat with a thin layer of oil.
- Cook the batter like pancakes, spooning approximately ¼ cup onto the pan and spreading in to a circle. (if you want a bigger corncake use more batter)
- Reduce heat to low, let the corncakes brown, and then flip and cook until Golden and browned.
- Continue cooking in batches, covering the finished corncakes on a plate to keep them warm.
- Serve with nut butter of choice, fruit and sweetener if you like (but they are already sweet on their own). Enjoy!