In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
Potato skins make a great plant-based, gluten-free finger food, ideal for parties and gatherings.
Filled with a delicious cashew based cheese and combination of green onions, herbs and potato. A healthy and delicious appetizer or side dish!
For potato skins
- 5-6 medium sized potatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
For potato skins filling:
- Roughly mashed potato
- 1/4 cup herbs (parsley, basil), chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese
- 2 finely chopped spring/green onions
- Cracked black pepper to season
For vegan cheese
- 3/4 cup potatoes, peeled and diced, any type will do, but Yukon gold works best
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/3 cup or more plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (optional)
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave 1/3 cup in the NutraMilk for recipes and store the rest for later use.
For plant-based cheese
- Boil or steam the potatoes and carrots for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- Drain them and add them to the NutraMilk.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Heat in sauce pan a few minutes to warm up.
For potato skins
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Wash potatoes, pierce them a couple of times with a fork and brush with a little bit oil.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes or until soft.
- Once potatoes are tender, take out of oven. Slice in half then scoop out the middle into a large mixing bowl.
- Add garlic, herbs, vegan cheese, onions and mash and mix with the potatoes, until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the filling to center of each potato, drizzle with a bit of vegan cheese and sprinkle with more herbs. Enjoy!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.