In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
This tomato sauce is made with fresh oat milk created in the NutraMilk which brings down the acidity of the tomato, adds flavor and loads of nutrients. Making oat milk in the NutraMilk is super easy to do and taste so different than the oat milk you buy at the store. Adding fresh milks such as oat, almond, cashew or any other nut or seed milk can be a key ingredient to a recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/ 4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can tomato paste (6oz)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1 cup oat milk made with the NutraMilk (other options are almond milk and cashew milk)
- fresh basil, optional
- black pepper, optional
For oat milk (yields 1 quart /4 cups / 946 mL)
- 1 cup (107g) oats
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- pinch of Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making fresh oat milk with the NutraMilk:
- Allow oats to soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour before preparing your oat milk.
- Drain oats.
- Place oats and salt in NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for I minute.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add the water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change this default time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense and open spigot to fill your storage container.
- Prepare the sauce by warming 2 tbsp. avocado oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until they are softened, stirring to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Add red pepper flakes and salt and stir for 30 seconds - 1 minute. Add the full can of tomato paste and olive oil. Cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom while you stir to avoid the bottom from burning, until tomato paste has turned from a bright red to a deep rich red, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly then transfer to the NutraMilk and process until smooth, set aside for a bit. Wipe out pot, but it doesn’t matter if there’s still browned bits stuck to the bottom.
- Fill the same pot with water and add salt (about 1 Tbs). Bring to a boil and add pasta. Cook according to package directions - or a little closer to the al dente side. Drain, but save 1 cup of the pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
- Add pasta water to the NutraMilk and process until very smooth. Taste and add additional salt if needed. Pour into pasta pot and gently toss to coat the pasta.
- Serve pasta with fresh basil, black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.