In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
A savory twist on classic French toasts. Completely plant-based - instead of using eggs for the batter, we used almond milk created with the NutraMilk and a few other savory ingredients, topped with fresh avocado and tomato for a delicious and filling breakfast!
- 1 cup simple almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- ⅓ cup chickpea flour
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- About 2 tbsp. canola oil, or high heat oil of choice
- 6 slices crusty bread
- cherry tomatoes
- cheese (regular or vegan)
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Whisk the milk, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and hot sauce together in a medium bowl, until fully blended.
- Generously coat the bottom of a medium skillet with oil and place it over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, grab a bread slice and dip each side in the batter, then transfer the slice to the skillet. You can add a few more slices to the skillet if there's room, but don't crowd them.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Repeat until all of the slices are cooked, adding oil to the skillet as needed between batches.
- Serve with toppings of choice such as avocado, tomato, cheese (for non-vegans), herbs, etc.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.Recipe inspired by Connoisseurus Veg.