In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
Just a few extra ingredients and your traditional oatmeal can turn into this luxury breakfast. This oatmeal is cooked in fresh almond milk created in the NutraMilk, topped with pan-fried bananas, chopped almonds for some crunchiness and your favorite chocolate nut butter for extra chocolaty flavor. It´s delicious but also a healthy way to start your day, filled with ingredients that promote good sleep:
Almonds (almond milk) contain magnesium, which promotes both sleep and muscle relaxation and they have the added benefit of supplying proteins that can help maintain stable blood sugar levels while sleeping (which means that you won’t wake up during the night). They also contain tryptophan, which is fundamental in supporting serotonin production.
Oats (oatmeal): is a rich source of whole grains which stimulate the release of insulin. This helps sleep inducing amino acids like tryptophan to enter the brain and produce sleep inducing and relaxing hormones like serotonin and melatonin for the winding down of the brain and the nervous system.
Cacao is extremely helpful in reducing stress levels in the brain as it’s very rich in tryptophan, which helps manufacture serotonin, the relaxing and ‘feel good’ hormone.
Bananas: Eating bananas aids the production of serotonin and melatonin and both potassium and magnesium are muscle relaxants – relaxed muscles encourage the entire body to relax, so this fruit is great in easing your physical and psychological stress. Bananas also contain tryptophan, which promotes serotonin release in the brain.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups almond milk made with the NutraMilk + some more for serving
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For pan fried banana
- 2 small bananas
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 tbsp chocolate nut butter of made with the NutraMIlk
- maple syrup to taste (optional)
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- In a sauce pan add your rolled oats. Bring to medium heat and toast quickly. Stirring often until it begin to provide a nutty aroma (3 minutes). Add almond milk, add cinnamon and a pinch of salt and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Add more almond milk if desired for preferred consistency. Remove from heat.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon to a skillet and bring to med-high heat. Cut the bananas in half down the center and place the open side facing down. Fry each side for 1-2 minute, or until golden.
- Remove from skillet and add the chopped roasted almonds. Roast the almond in in the oven (approx. 3-5 minutes) or buy the already roasted ones.
- Pour porridge into two bowls and top with fried bananas. Leave them as is or cut them in small pieces. Drizzle with maple syrup (optional). Sprinkle with toasted almonds and a small spoon of vegan Nutella.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.