In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
This flavorful and comforting soup is made from wholesome ingredients including a homemade dairy-free cream created in the NutraMilk from cashews. Delicious and easy to make, give it a try when you are in the mood for a hearty potato soup!
- 3 small bunches spring onions
- 2lb Russets/Maris Pipers, peeled & diced into chunks
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup non-dairy cream made with the NutraMilk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. butter (vegan or regular)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 pinches of ground nutmeg
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
For non-dairy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Start by making cashew cream in the NutraMilk:
- Add cashews to the NutraMilk and process for about 3-4 minutes until you get a butter consistency.
- Add the water, lemon juice, salt, and vinegar, and process until very smooth and creamy. Taste and add any spices you wish. Set non-dairy cream aside.
- Slice off the roots from the spring onions and discard. Finely slice the onions then place to one side, saving a few of the dark green slices for garnish.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a large pot over medium heat then add onions and garlic. Sauté until they start to soften and wilt down.
- Add in potatoes then pour in 4 cups stock.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste, can always adjust after) and a couple of pinches of nutmeg. Give it a good stir then pop on the lid, lower heat to a gentle simmer and leave for around 30-35mins, or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Scoop out a couple of potato chunks and place to one side for garnish.
- Add potatoes and veggies to the NutraMilk and process until smooth, making sure it's at room temp & the stock isn't bubbling hot or it may curdle. If the soup is too thick for your liking steadily add more stock until your preferred texture. Add nutritional yeast and non-dairy cream to the soup in the NutraMilk and process until all is well combined.
- Taste test for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Serve soup, topped with diced potatoes, croutons then finish with green onion slices. Enjoy!