In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
This French Bistro classic is a perfect starter for any occasion. This is your plant-based version made with a delicious cashew mozzarella dairy-free cheese that has the perfect texture and flavor. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup vegan butter or olive oil (or a blend of both)
- 4 medium yellow onions, sliced
- ¾ tsp granulated sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ cup red wine
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour (gluten-free option)
- 2 quarts vegetable broth , low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 baguette , sliced and toasted (gluten-free option)
For cashew "Mozzarella" cheese
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened cashew milk or other plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk, hot
- 2 tbsp. tapioca flour/starch
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp sea salt
For cashew milk
- 1 cup (150g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making fresh cashew milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place cashews in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container.
- In a large pot, heat the butter or oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and sugar. Sauté until the onions are very tender & caramelized, about 40-50 minutes. Stir often to avoid sticking or burning.
- Now add the garlic and thyme. Sauté 30-60 seconds.
- Add the red wine and turn heat up to bring to a simmer. Now reduce heat and gently simmer on medium-low for about 10-15 minutes, or until the wine has evaporated.
- Stir the flour into the onions. Turn the heat down to low and cook for 1 minute. Stir constantly so the flour doesn't burn.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Turn heat up to to get things moving and turn right down to gently simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Now's a good time to prepare the "mozzarella" cheese. Place all ingredients into the NutraMilk. Process until smooth. Now pour mixture into a small pot and place over medium heat. Stir often, so it doesn’t stick or burn. Scrape the sides and bottom as needed. The cheese will start to thicken up and get slightly stretchy. This whole process should take about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When the soup is done, remove bay leaves and taste for seasoning. Add more if needed.
- Heat the broiler to high. Carefully ladle the soup into oven-safe crocks or bowls. Fill halfway, and place 1-2 slices of toasted baguette into each bowl. Now add more soup, pouring directly over bread. Make sure not to overfill the bowls. Now top each baguette slice with a big scoop of cheese and place the bowls in the oven. I placed a big piece of parchment paper under the bowls. Sometimes the cheese melts over, so it avoids mess in your oven.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes to slightly brown and melt the cheese. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Vegan Huggs.