In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
This bright, sweet and silky orange curd is quick and easy to make. No eggs or dairy needed, completely plant-based. Made with fresh almond milk created in the NutraMilk. It´s so versatile, it´s perfect as a dessert topping or as a spread for quick treat! Enjoy!
- 1 ¼ cups (300 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed (3-5 oranges, depending on size)
- 3 tbsp. orange zest, optional
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup (240 g) plant-based milk of choice made with the NutraMilk (I used almond)
- 5 tbsp. (40 g) cornstarch, (cornflour), *see notes
- 1 cup (180 g) granulated sugar, *see notes
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. vanilla powder or vanilla bean paste, optional
- ¼ cup (50 g) vegan butter, stick butter, not margarine, *see notes
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Prepare the oranges: In a large bowl, combine 3 parts water with one part white vinegar and let the oranges soak in there for 10 minutes.
- If you want to include orange peel in the curd, peel 2 of the oranges and finely chop the peel. Set aside.
- Juice the oranges, and pass the juice through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any seeds.
- Add the almond milk, sugar, and cornstarch to a saucepan and whisk until smooth without any lumps. Add the orange juice and orange zest (if using) and whisk again to combine.
- Place the saucepan on medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Turn down the heat slightly to a gentle simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes, while stirring alternating with a rubber spatula and a whisk to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pan. The mixture will thicken and should coat the back of the spatula.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vegan butter until completely incorporated and you have a smooth curd.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Storage: Transfer the curd to an airtight jar and refrigerate for up to a week. The curd will thicken in the fridge, so you can gently heat and melt it in a saucepan anytime you need a runnier curd consistency.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Addicted to Dates.