In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
This quick and easy to make plant-based chocolate cake is perfect for any occasion!
You can add a nut butter spread on top, dust some powdered sugar or decorate with frosting of choice or . Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (can sub for gluten free flour blend)
- ½ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flaxseeds + 3 tbsp. hot water)
- 1 cup pumpkin seed milk or other plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup canola oil (80ml) or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
For pumpkin seed milk
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds (90 g)
- 1 quart water (946 mL)
- pinch of Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making pumpkin seed milk
- Place pumpkin seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change this default time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 8-inch cake pans (with non-stick spray and line the bottoms with circles of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing one tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of hot water and leave to sit for a minute or so to become gloopy.
- Add your flax egg, pumpkin seed milk (or other non-dairy milk), vanilla extract, oil and vinegar to the mixing bowl and mix in. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter evenly into prepared cake pan.
- Place into the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the cake pan for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool. Option to add frosting of choice or dust with powder sugar. In this case with used a shamrock paper cut out in the center of the cake to decorate for St. Patrick’s. Enjoy!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Loving it Vegan.