In a Nutshell
Our recipes, diet, health, wellness and fitness blogazine, where we bring you weekly advice, ideas and inspiration for living a healthier lifestyle and your NutraMilk processor.
Maple roasted carrots are a classic! With cranberries that are in season and very festive, this makes an excellent choice for a Thanksgiving or other holiday side dish. Topped with a homemade maple sunflower sauce for a special touch that everyone will love!
- 1.1 lb (500g) medium carrots, scrubbed clean
- 3.5 oz (100g) fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup divided
- zest of ½ large orange
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp harissa paste*, adjust to taste (strength varies!)
- a few springs of thyme or lemon thyme
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ½ tsp salt, adjust to taste
- black pepper, to serve
- ¼ cup almond flakes
- 2 cups raw or roasted sunflower seeds (270g)
- 1/4 cup almond butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 170° C / 340° F fan forced (or 190° C / 375° F no fan) and line one large baking tray (or two smaller ones) with baking paper.
- Trim the green tops off the carrots (you can make pesto out of them or add them to soups) and cut carrots into halves lengthwise.
- Coat cranberries in 1 tbsp of maple syrup and mix in orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine olive oil, 3 tbsp maple syrup, thyme leaves (about 1 tbsp), garlic, salt and a good pinch of black pepper.
- Coat dry carrots in the maple and and space them out on a large baking tray. If you have a large tray, place cranberries at the other end, if not use two separate trays.
- Roast for about 20-25 minutes, until carrots are tender and the exterior slightly caramelized and cranberries are soft and jammy. If cranberries are done sooner, remove them from the tray with a spatula and set aside. If you have any leftover carrot marinade, apply it with a brush again half way through the baking time.
- Meanwhile make the maple sunflower sauce:
- Place sunflower seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 14-15 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If desired, set Butter cycle for an additional 2-3 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave 1/2 cup of sunflower in the NutraMilk and store the rest for later use.
- Add maple syrup, almond butter and 1/4 cup of water. Process until well incorporated.
- See how consistency comes out and add more water if you want a thinner consistency. Set aside.
- Toast almonds lightly in a hot pan until lightly browned and fragrant. Place roasted carrots and cranberries on a large serving platter. Sprinkle with toasted almonds, sprinkle any herbs of choice such as thyme and drizzle with maple sunflower sauce. Enjoy!
**You can substitute Harissa paste for any chili paste of choice.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Lazy Cat Kitchen.